Tuesday 29 October 2013

A New Beginning

A warm welcome to you. This is my new writing blog. It has been a few years since I last wrote one (or two), for reasons I'll no doubt go into a few months down the line...

But for now, I must only mention the brand new e-publication of my debut novel, A Portrait of the Arsonist as a Young Man by Red Sail Press. For the very first time the novel is downloadable to all e-reading devices, priced competitively at £2.99. 

For a preview of the book, please find here: 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portrait-Arsonist-Young-Man-ebook/dp/B00G3I20LK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383054340&sr=8-1&keywords=portrait+arsonist




From memory, the first edition sold out in a few months (yippee!), but sadly the publisher overstretched himself, folded, going the way of the duck-billed platypus (boo!). Even more sad, the publisher then absconded with all of my royalties, never to be seen again (like the above-mentioned platypus) ..but that's another story now consigned to the file called 'ancient history', or is that 'natural history'...? 

The very good news, however, is that my novel has survived and only got stronger, as if from a Darwinian process of natural selection. This painstakingly-edited second edition is somewhat shorter, sharper, slicker and as a result, superior to the first, not least because a Hollywood screenwriter cast her experienced eyes over the script and made some illuminating discoveries/suggestions. As the author, I can honestly say that this version of A Portrait of the Arsonist is much closer to how I'd imagined it in the beginning...if only I'd had an experienced editor in 2008/9. For one thing, I've been cured of hyphenitis. Ha-ha!

Also, I'm very excited to say that Red Sail Press will be publishing my debut collection of short stories (title to be decided) early in 2014. So things are looking up. 

It is easy to forget sometimes that more than just sand and stone roll in with the tide. 

AFM







No comments:

Post a Comment